Who can I contact if I think I did not receive the prevailing wage?

You can contact the Foundation for Fair Contracting of CT at 860-667-7727; or, the CT DOL Wage and Workplace Standards Division at 860-263-6000.  The FFC can assist you with reviewing documents and filing a complaint with the DOL, if there is cause.

How can an employee find out what the prevailing wage rate is for a particular project?

The law requires prevailing wage rates to be posted in a conspicuous place on all public construction sites.  To obtain the rates on a particular project, you may contact the awarding authority for the prevailing wage rate schedule.  Prevailing wage rates may vary from project to project. Contact the FFC to learn more.

Does the prevailing wage apply to employees of a sub-contractor?

Yes. All workers performing public works construction on a site, with the exception of those performing strictly supervisory functions, must be paid the prevailing wage.

Does the prevailing wage apply to truck drivers hauling gravel and fill to and from the public works project?


Are contractors allowed to use apprentices on a prevailing wage project?

Yes. The contractor may use apprentices if the contractor is participating in an apprenticeship program which is registered with the Division of Apprenticeship Training, and if the apprentice is registered with the program and the Division.

Can an employer deduct money from the prevailing wage rate for a health, welfare and pension plan that an employee does not want?

Yes. If the plan is bona fide, the contractor can make the deductions. For further information about validity of benefit plans, contact the U.S. Attorney General Regulated Industries Division at 617-727-2200 x 3466 or the U.S. Department of Labor, Pension Welfare and Benefits Administration at 617-565-9600.

Is an employer engaged in public works construction required to file certified payroll records with the owner/awarding authority?

Yes. All contractors and subcontractors are required to file weekly certified payroll records with the owner/awarding authority.  These certified records must include each employee’s name, address, occupational classification, hours worked and wages paid.