industry news

Stay updated with the latest developments and insights from across the industry

Meriden approves $4.8 million plans for emergency dispatch center by police station

The Planning Commission unanimously approved plans to build a 6,000-square foot emergency dispatch center at 32 W. Main St. next to the police station. The project includes merging the city-owned lots at 32 and 50 West Main Street to create a 16,093-square foot lot between the Meriden Senior Center and the Meriden Police Department. Construction is expected to begin in July and last 14 months, representatives said. The original project costs are around $4.8 million, with the city making up the $800,000 difference after a 2021 state grant. The upsides for the West Main Street property, in addition to lower construction costs, were seamless equipment and systems transitions as well as better parking options.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/recordjournal/article/meriden-communications-center-dispatch-police-20328893.php

SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING!
Old Lyme May Hold Second Referendum as Sewer Project Costs Jump 40%

Sewer construction in Sound View and Area B is projected to cost at least 40% more than expected, even with state funding, prompting a possible second town vote to raise the budget. Steven Cinami, chair of Old Lyme’s Water and Pollution Control Authority, said Wednesday that based on current bids, annual costs would rise to $1,938 per standard property in the area, up from last August’s estimate of under $1,400. “We have actual bids instead of estimates,” Cinami said. ”Now I use real numbers.” On Tuesday, the Old Lyme WPCA voted to increase the budget to $17.1 million to cover the total cost of the project. This represents an increase of $7.6 million, or 80% more than the original budget approved in a 2019 referendum. Bids received in February came in around $22 million for shared infrastructure and $10.5 million for internal infrastructure Cinami said.

Old Lyme May Hold Second Referendum as Sewer Project Costs Jump 40%

SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING!
Trump’s ‘Get America Building Again’ plan is coming to CT. Here’s how

President Donald Trump’s department announced Thursday that it had reached a “first-of-its-kind programmatic agreement” that will cover an estimated 90 construction projects each year. The agreement is designed to speed up schedules by at least six weeks for major projects such as the Gold Star Memorial Bridge on Interstate 95 between New London and Groton, upgrades on the New Haven line of the Metro-North Commuter Railroad, and a new bus system in New Haven. The Trump administration says the plan will “Get America Building Again” by helping states to complete projects faster. Since transportation projects are particularly known for red tape, multiple agencies are involved in the agreement that stretches for more than 30 pages. Those include the Federal Highway Railroad Administration, Federal Highway Administration, and Federal Transit Administration and Federal Railroad Administration – plus the Connecticut transportation department, Connecticut State Historic Preservation Office and the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-s-get-america-building-again-plan-is-coming-to-ct-here-s-how/ar-AA1EQjXx?ocid=BingNewsVerp&cvid=02a1c637edac49b7f82bd9e7ab2462ff&ei=10

SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING!
Subcontractor at Meriden construction site where worker died was cited days before, official says

Union officials claim that it was only a matter of time before someone was seriously injured or killed at the Bee Street construction site where 36-year-old Elvin Monzon-Guzman died last week. The subcontractor that Monzon-Guzman was working for was fined $16,500 by the state Department of Labor for payroll and workers’ compensation violations just days before the fatal accident, agency staff said. On May 7, shortly after work resumed because some of the problems were rectified, Monzon-Guzman, of Lynn, Mass., was struck by a truss that was being moved as part of the construction project on Bee Street, next to the Flats 390 apartment complex, police said. A.R. Building Company officials did not respond to a request for comment. Azedo confirmed that some of the subcontractors had received stop-work orders related to payroll and other issues, but he felt the Department of Labor issued the orders because they needed time to sort out the problems.

https://www.ctinsider.com/recordjournal/article/elvin-monzon-guzman-meriden-bee-death-osha-20325144.php?utm_content=hed&sid=5af4ad4b24c17c5fa420329b&ss=A&st_rid=a0f9da8c-0e61-4c3b-b465-15287c8fc7db&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ctin%20%7C%20rj%20briefing

SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING!
Waterbury’s North Side Firehouse renovation project estimated to cost $5.5 million

City officials estimate that a full renovation of Fire Station 1 on North Main Street will cost $5.5 million. The city administration is asking the Board of Aldermen to approve an additional $6.7 million in city bonding to pay for the North Side Firehouse project, upgrades to several other firehouses, and preliminary costs related to the replacement of Fire Station 5 on East Main, including property acquisition. The scope of work for the planned $5.5 million renovation of Fire Station 1 includes structural repairs, interior renovations, including living quarters on the second floor, and necessary upgrades to meet safety and operational standards. The existing firehouse at 1979 North Main St. was constructed in 1968. The city accepted requests for proposals from contractors for the Fire Station 1 project from March 28 to April 29.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/waterbury/article/waterbury-north-side-firehouse-renovation-20324725.php

SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING!
Petition signatures against massive solar array in rural CT town top 1,100

Residents looking to block an expansion of a huge solar array on East Windsor farmland got a boost Wednesday when the town’s legislative delegation put out a bipartisan statement slamming the proposal as damaging and unwelcome. Anwar, a Democrat, along with Democratic Rep. Jaime Foster and Republican Rep. Carol Hall issued a call for the Connecticut Siting Council to reject a request from Desri Holdings L.P. to approve more than 150 additional acres in East Windsor for solar arrays. Residents and town leaders argue that East Windsor and a few other sparsely populated towns with large quantities of farmland are being forced to carry most of the weight of renewable energy for the state and beyond. Desri, a New York-based renewable energy company, contends the expansion will provide “cost effective, stably priced, renewable energy to Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island customers,” saying it would deliver power to high-demand centers including Hartford, Providence and western Massachusetts. The company has approval for a 120-megawatt project, and is asking the Siting Council to approve an additional 30 megawatts.

https://www.courant.com/2025/05/15/petition-signatures-against-massive-solar-array-in-rural-ct-town-top-1100/

SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING!
Bridgeport school board weighs new $125M school, $75M special education center

City school system officials are proposing to build two new schools to replace a handful of aging buildings, including a $125 million pre-K-8 school and a $75 million center for special education. Jorge Garcia, the district’s chief operations officer, said the elementary school would be built at the site of the old Harding High School and serve students who currently attend Beardsley, Edison and Hall schools. Garcia said the proposals were based on recommendations included in a recent facilities study that urged the district to shutter seven school buildings, construct four new ones and perform major renovations on eight others. Garcia described the proposed elementary school as a state-of-the-art facility. He said that unlike older schools, the new one would be fully compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and feature air conditioning and proper ventilation.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/education/article/bridgeport-new-school-buildings-20317700.php

SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING!
Wilbur Cross Parkway tunnel in New Haven to finally get structural upgrades after years of delays

After years of delays, state transportation officials are reviving plans to overhaul the 75-year-old Heroes Tunnel on the Wilbur Cross Parkway. The long-overdue project would bring much-needed upgrades to the busy tunnel, which carries about 74,000 vehicles per day through West Rock Ridge in New Haven, according to the state Department of Transportation. This week, DOT officials met with leaders from New Haven, Woodbridge and Hamden to update them on the project, agency spokesperson Josh Morgan said in an email. The meeting covered the tunnel’s current condition and the proposed scope of work, which the state estimates will cost about $150 million and begin in 2028, he said. According to the slideshow, the project will include structural repairs to the tunnel liners, which typically are made of steel or concrete and provide stability and support. Plans also call for improved ventilation and fire protection systems, enhanced lighting and new signage to guide both drivers and pedestrians.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/ct-heroes-tunnel-2028-upgrade-wilbur-cross-parkway-20318936.php

SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING!
Pfizer plans to demolish obsolete building complex in Groton City

Pfizer plans to demolish a vacant 80,000-square foot facility, the Building 185 Complex, on its western campus at 445 Eastern Point Road. Pfizer said in a statement that the building is obsolete and serves no further useful purpose, with demolition planned for later this year. Fuss & O’Neill representatives wrote in the application that despite a year of marketing the building complex, it “has failed to attract interest due to its limited market appeal and lack of operational purpose,” and demolition is the only viable option. “Renovation is not a practical solution, as the building’s constrained size and location cannot accommodate the extensive upgrades required to meet Pfizer’s current campus needs,” they wrote. Pfizer said once the administrative filings are complete, the Groton property will be restricted to commercial or industrial use. Pfizer said that if a future owner wants to release those restrictions, the state would require additional remediation to meet the standards for residential or unrestricted use of the property.

https://theday.com/news/740160/pfizer-plans-to-demolish-obsolete-building-complex-in-groton-city/

SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING!
Tilcon temporarily scraps plans for Plainville quarry expansion to address concerns

Tilcon Connecticut has temporarily withdrawn its application for a zone change needed to expand one of its quarries. The construction company currently has about half of its 468-acre operation in the northeast part of town and is looking to expand by 83 acres, according to the April 8 Planning and Zoning Commission meeting minutes. The company’s primary material is basalt which comes out of the two quarries in town, including on the south side of New Britain Avenue, said Tom Daly of SLR Consulting, at the April 8 meeting. Tilcon sent a May 6 letter to the Planning and Zoning Commission to “formally withdraw, without prejudice, the Tilcon Connecticut application.”

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/recordjournal/article/plainville-tilcon-quarry-expansion-ct-20314920.php

SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING!

Connect with us

Contact us

If you believe you have been the victim of wage theft on a public works construction project, please feel free to contact our office. You can also visit the Connecticut Department of Labor’s Wage & Workplace Division’s website to file a complaint here.

78 Beaver Rd. Suite 2D 
Wethersfield, CT 06109

Send Us a message