New Haven landmark Sports Haven, visible to 140k drivers each day, could come down this week

Aug 18, 2026 | Uncategorized

NEW HAVEN — Sports Haven, the vacant landmark former video off-track-betting parlor in the Long Wharf section known for its highly visible giant murals of racing horses, is expected to come down this week and demolition could begin as soon as Tuesday morning, officials said Monday. The property owner and its demolition contractor, J & J Demolition, could have a demolition permit in hand as soon as Tuesday, city Building Official Robert Dillon said Monday. It will be up to them when they begin taking the building down, Dillon said. Demolition of the building at 600 Long Wharf Drive — which is seen by about 140,000 vehicles per day passing by on Interstate 95 — is coming about a month later than the previous estimate by city officials. Several employees of a hazardous materials abatement company were still on the property Monday morning, working to get the property ready for demolition. A supervisor and an employee of the demolition company both said demolition could begin sometime this week. Earlier this summer, the building underwent an environmental assessment, Dillon has said. Part of that assessment was to determine whether the building had any asbestos-laden tiles, he said.

https://www.nhregister.com/news/article/new-haven-long-wharf-sports-haven-i-95-i-91-22388950.php

SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING!

Connect with us